4 of the Most Common Electrical Problems and How to Prevent Them

Electricity is essential in any home or establishment, and without it, many people will be unable to perform specific functions. At the same time, safety when handling electricity is essential as it poses a risk to you and your household. It is, therefore, necessary to identify and prevent any electrical problems in your home.

The following is a list of some of the most common electrical issues and ways to prevent them.


  1. Faulty light switches 

    A defective switch will often flicker or produce dimmer light than what is required. A defective switch may be due to some reasons such as poor installation or inferior quality products. If your switch is not working correctly and producing sub-standard light, this calls for a repair. The first step is to contact a qualified electrician to fix this problem. If the problem is one that you can set such as faulty wiring, go ahead. However, reaching an expert is the best option.
  2. Electrical surges 
    Electrical surges are bound to happen to any house due to lightning, broken appliances and damaged power lines. If a surge lasts for a microsecond, you have nothing to worry about. However, if the electrical surges are longer and more frequent, this is a problem. Look around the house and identify any cheap appliances connected to the main power grid as they are most likely the cause and eradicate them.
  3. Circuit breaker tripping frequently 
    Circuit breakers are meant to safeguard your house when your electrical appliances exceed the voltage threshold. This way your devices do not cause a fire. However if your circuit breaker trips frequently it is crucial you identify what instrument is causing this. Some devices are naturally made to take up high voltages, and extra caution needs to be taken when using them. You can disconnect these appliances and only use them when necessary. Also, when using them avoid using other machines at the same time.
  4. Electrical shocks 
    With electrical switches and appliances, electric shocks are bound to happen. They are static shocks that produce pain, and while at most times they are mild, they are very dangerous and can cause death. They are caused by faulty wiring or handling electricity with water and other items that conduct electricity. In this case, you need to be extra careful when dealing with power, e.g. ensure that your hands are dry. Also, check to see whether the appliances are faulty.

    Always conduct routine checks of your electricity at home to make sure they are functioning and if there is a problem it should be corrected by a professional as soon as possible. The last thing you want is to have an accident due to a faulty wire or circuit that was not checked.

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Google PlusVisit Us On PinterestVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On LinkedinVisit Us On Instagram